Ritual plays an intrinsic part in the human experience. Through ritual we find comfort and meaning in actions or words. A few years ago, when I was in a particularly dark period on my life, I started paying close attention to the lunar cycles within the context of astrology. There was comfort in the marking of the new moon as if I had another chance at a new beginning.
Somehow, probably due to the power of the internet, I learned about new and full moon manifestation rituals. At the time, I was unbelievably broke. My life looked like a bomb had gone off and I needed the reassurance and focus that came with these rituals. I needed to feel like I was in the driver’s seat of my life again. And so during the new moon I wrote out a list — pen and ink to paper — of the things I wanted to manifest in my life. I dated the piece of paper, folded it up, and tucked it away. Two weeks later, during the full moon, I took the piece of paper out of its storage place, placed it in a bowl, and carefully lit the piece of paper on fire, scattering the ashes to the wind.
I remember the first time I did this ritual and the feeling of energetic release that overcame me as the paper was consumed by flames. Through my written intentions, which took my thoughts and brought them into the physical, I gave the Universe a list of what I needed. Low and behold I started to manifest my intentions.
New and Full Moon Rituals
The new moon marks the beginning of a cycle and the full moon the release. During the new moon we plant our seeds of intention and during the full moon we watch them grow fruit. To manifest with the power of the waxing and waning moon, here’s what you need to do:
- Look at a calendar of the moon phases. Find the dates of the new and full moons.
- On the day of the new moon, take a sheet of paper, date it, and write the following: “I accept these things into my life now or something better for the highest good and the highest good of all concerned.” This is called the karma free clause. Basically you’re saying to the Universe, I want these things, but only if they are in my highest good and the highest good of everyone I know. And by saying “or something better” allows for the Universe to create something that is beyond what we can possibly imagine.
- Below your karma free clause, begin to write out what you want to manifest in your life. Nothing is too small nor too big. Write your statements in the affirmative “I am” and not “I need” or “I want.”
- When you are done with your list, put it away until the time of the full moon, which always happens two weeks later.
- At the time of the full moon, find a bowl or vessel to safely burn your list in. (I use a large bowl from my kitchen.) Burn your list and when it has completely turn to ash and cooled, take the ashes outside and scatter into the wind, thanking the Universe for being a co-creator with you.
This is basic Law of Attraction stuff, which states that we have the power to manifest everything that we need in our lives. Yes, all it takes is getting clear about what we want. There are a couple of caveats though — we’ll never manifest more than what we think we deserve; we’ll never manifest more than is in line with our karma. But those caveats aside, it’s a very powerful ritual and a surefire way to get stagnant energy moving in your life. If you want healing in your life, ask for healing. If you want a job, specifically outline the sort of job you want. Take time to mentally examine any blocks you might have to manifesting what you want in your life. Dismantle any feelings of unworthiness or anything that cancels out your manifestations such as saying, “I am getting a new job,” in one breath followed by, “No one will ever hire me,” in the other. You’ve just canceled out your manifestation!
So get crackin’. The Universe is waiting for us to be co-creators with it.